Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Breakfast is the Most Important Meal of the Morning



Even more so than Tea or Elevensies! So, to start the day off right, a good pancake is just what the doctor ordered. (Just not my doctor. Let's let this be our little secret, shall we?)

Now, I'm not one to be up with the sun unless pressed, (into falling out of bed), but I could be convinced to get my face on before the crack of noon for a table set with the likes of these.



Just like my own dear Grandma used to make
Every morning she fed her family these wonderful, whole wheat pancakes, topped with real butter and maple syrup, or fresh seasonal fruit ....

and fresh, thick cows cream from her own farm. I swoon at the memory! I spent summers on the farm eating these every single morning, with cold, cold milk to wash them down. Heaven! It's a miracle I've kept my girlish figure.

Here is her secret family recipe. Since she's in a better place now, (no, not Saskatoon for you Corner Gas fans. Goodness.) I don't think she'll mind me sharing it with a few close, personal friends.

Just remember dear ones, it makes a lot. Don't forget, she was feeding a family with seven children.
I've modified it to an amount that will make a dozen or so 4 inch pancakes. Enough for you and the mister. Oh, yes of course, maybe a guest or two as well. Tell them to bring peaches.


Love,
Bea



Grandma B's Whole Wheat Pancakes
butter for frying

Dry Ingredients:
2 c. unbleached white flour
2 c. whole wheat flour
1 Tblsp. baking soda

Wet Ingredients: For each 3/4 cup dry mix
2 eggs
1 1/4 cups buttermilk, from a cow named Bossie
2 Tblsp. melted butter

Mix dry ingredients and store them in the pantry ready to use.
Put 3/4 cup of the mix in a bowl. Add wet ingredients. Stir the pancake dough only to incorporate, not too much.
Make a cast iron frying pan really hot. Melt butter. Ladle in the pancake dough. Turn the heat to low. Cook until the top of the pancake bubbles, flip and brown the other side.
Serve with love and kindness. Feed leftovers to dog.

No comments: