Thursday, May 27, 2010

Joy!

“It is not how much we have, but how much we enjoy, that makes happiness. – C. H. Spurgeon

Today, I've been thinking about happiness and joy...

We all seem to want more. We know better, but we think, if I can just have this, or if I can just learn how to prosper, or if only I could win the lottery! But when we look around us at those who have more, and some much, much, more than ourselves ~ we see just because they have more resources, they don't have more happiness or joy. In fact, they often are much less happy. Sure they may exhibit a superficial happiness, but where's the joy? Where is the contentment? So, if things don't bring us happiness, how can we be happy? Can we experience joy in the midst of life's most difficult times? Yes.

I can still have joy in my heart when life is twisting me all up inside? At that point I am not feeling happy, but an inner joy remains: faith picks me up and hope carries me on.

My thoughts are with my dear friend Bea, today. Her brother is gravely ill and she has gone to be with him to comfort him, and her mother. This is not a happy situation, but Bea carries with her the joy of the Lord with her which gives her strength to care for her family in the midst of this most difficult experience.

To read more about joy, please read C. H. Spurgeon here. You will be glad you did!

Joyfully yours,

Bessie x0x0


No comments: